The exam will be conducted in 03 phases. Candidates applying for the JKPSC recruitment in 2023 are recommended to read the post for the Kashmir Administrative Service syllabus, prelims syllabus, exam pattern, etc.
JKPSC KAS Syllabus 2023 Overview
An overview of the JKPSC KAS syllabus 2023 is provided below. The applicants are advised to go through the syllabus thoroughly to hone their skills.
|JKPSC Syllabus Overview|
|Conducting Body||Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission|
|Post Name||JKPSC KAS|
|Application Starting Date||April 25, 2023|
|Last Date to Apply||May 17, 2023|
|Exam Date (Preliminary)||July 2023|
|Exam Date (Mains)||October 2023|
JKPSC KAS Syllabus 2023
The details for the JKPSC KAS 2023 syllabus are listed below. As discussed above, the JKPSC KAS exam has three phases. The syllabus for all the relevant phases is shared below.
Preliminary Exam Syllabus
The details of the JKPSC KAS Preliminary syllabus 2023 are listed for reference. The prelims paper is further divided into two:
|Paper Name||Topic Name|
|Paper-I (General Studies)|
- Current events of National and International importance
- History of India and the Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography–Physical, Social
- Economic Geography of India and the world
- Indian Polity and Governance–Constitution
- Political System
- Panchayati Raj
- Public Policy
- Rights Issues etc.
- Economic and Social Development–Sustainable Development
- Social Sector Initiatives etc.,
- General issues on Environmental ecology
- Bio-diversity and Climate Change–that do not require subject specialization
- General Science
|Paper-II (General Studies)|
- Interpersonal skills, including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.–Class X level)
- Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc.–Class X level)
Mains Examination Syllabus
There are six significant papers for the JKPSC KAS mains exam and two optional
papers. The details of the JKPSC KAS mains syllabus are given below:
|Paper Name||Topic Name|
- Comprehension of given passages
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary
- Short Essays
- Indian Heritage and Culture
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms.
- Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times
- History: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country
- History of the world will include events from the 18th century, such as the industrial revolution, world wars, redrawing of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism, etc.- their forms and effect on society.
- Society: Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India, Role of women and women’s organizations, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems, and their remedies
- Effects of globalization on Indian society
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism
- Geography: Salient features of the world’s physical geography
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian subcontinent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes: Tsunami, Volcanic activity, Cyclone etc., geographical features and their location, changes in critical geographical features (including water bodies and icecaps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
- Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure: Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges about the federal system, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein
- Separation of powers between various organs disputes redressal mechanisms and institutions.
- Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other countries
- Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, the conduct of business, powers & privileges, and issues arising out of these
- Structure, organization, and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary Ministries and Departments of the Government; pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity
- Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act
- Appointment to various Constitutional posts, powers, functions, and responsibilities of various Constitutional Bodies
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests
- The Indian diaspora, Important International institutions, agencies, and fora- their structure, mandate.
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development, and employment
- Challenges to internal security through communication networks, the role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cybersecurity, money-laundering and its prevention
- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants, and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships
- Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers, and administrators; the role of family, society, and educational institutions in inculcating values.
|Optional Subjects||Subject based|
The optional subjects included in the JKPSC KAS exam 2023 are mentioned below. Candidates will be required to choose any one of the following papers.
|Paper Name||Subject Included|
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Medical Science
- Civil Engineering
- Public Administration
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science and International Relations
- Electrical Engineering
- Literature: Arabic, Dogri, Kashmiri, Persian, Punjabi,
Sanskrit, Urdu, English, Hindi (Any)
JKPSC KAS 2023 Exam Pattern
The JKPSC KAS exam is conducted in three phases: the Preliminary exam, Mains exam, and Interview. The preliminary exam is qualifying in nature. The detailed JKPSC KAS exam pattern 2023 is shared below for reference:
Given below are the details of the JKPSC KAS Pre paper. This is the first paper in the JKPSC KAS selection process.
- It has objective questions.
- Total mark is 450.
- The exam duration is 02 hours.
- It has 02 papers.
- It is qualifying in nature.
|Paper Name||Total Marks||Exam Duration (in mins)|
Given below are the details for the JKPSC KAS Mains paper. Candidates who qualify for the prelims paper will be further required to write the mains paper.
- The paper has descriptive questions.
- One paper is qualifying in nature.
- It has a total of 08 papers.
- The total mark is 2050.
- The exam is held in rounds.
|Paper Name||Total Marks||Exam Duration|
|English||300||180 min each|
Besides the written exam, the candidates must also prepare for the JKPSC KAS interview. The details about the interview round are shared below:
- It is the last phase of the selection process.
- Candidates who qualify for Mains are called for the Interview.
- It checks the candidate’s ability on the ground level.
- The final selection is made on a Merit basis.
JKPSC KAS 2023 Preparation Tips
Candidates can follow the preparation tips given below to ace the written exam. These tips will help the candidates complete the JKPSC KAS syllabus 2023 easily and on time.
- Keep revising for better retention.
- Practice the previous ten year’s question papers to understand the exam pattern.
- Work on your spoken English for the Interview.
- Study about your State and district in detail for the Interview.
JKPSC KAS 2023 Reference Books
Follow these books to complete the JKPSC KAS syllabus 2023. These books are beginner’s friendly and are equipped with basic concepts and details.
- M. Laxmikanth– Polity
- NCERT– Std. 06-12 books
- Satish Chandra– History
- Shankar IAS– Environment and Ecology
JKPSC KAS 2023 Syllabus FAQs
How many papers are there under the JKPSC KAS syllabus 2023 for the mains examination?
There are eight papers for the main examination.
When is the JKPSC KAS prelims examination?
The prelims examination will be tentatively held in July 2023.
How many marks does the JKPSC KAS prelims exam carry?
Prelims examination will have two papers. The total is 400.
When is the JKPSC KAS Mains exam?
The mains examination will be tentatively held in October, 2023.
Post a Comment